My earlier post shows how to display the Trash Can on the GNOME 3 desktop. Not to be out-done, KDE4 also hides the Trash Can by default. This post outlines the steps to enable the display of the Trash Can on KDE4. I'll also show how to set up the Home directory icon on the KDE4 desktop.
To display the Trash Can:
- Click anywhere on the desktop background.
- Click Add Widgets.
- Search for the trashcan widget by entering 'trash' in the search box.
- Double click the trashcan widget returned by the search.
To set up a Home directory icon on the desktop:
- Run your favourite File Manager (say Dolphin).
- Navigate to your Home directory (/home/username/).
- Drag and drop the Home directory onto the target location of the desktop that you want the icon to appear.
- Click Icon to create an icon for your Home directory.
- Clicking the icon labelled peter runs the Dolphin file manager and opens your Home directory.
The icon labelled peter is essentially your Home icon. It'd be even better if I can rename the icon to Home. But, I can't find a way to do it. The user name suffices.